Design & Technology
At Victoria Primary Academy we offer a broad and balanced curriculum and aim to provide children with a DT education that is relevant in our rapidly changing and technological world. DT at Victoria is ambitious, aspirational and knowledge rich. Our curriculum map follows the CUSP curriculum and is designed to ensure that children experience and develop a wide range of skills covering all aspects of DT in a progressive way.
We believe that high-quality DT lessons will inspire children to think independently, innovatively and develop creative, procedural and technical understanding of the subject. Our DT curriculum provides children with opportunities to work collaboratively to research, represent their ideas, explore and investigate, develop their ideas, make a product and evaluate their work and that of others.
The curriculum for Design and Technology aims to ensure that all pupils:
- Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world.
- Build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users.
- Critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others.
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
- One DT project is delivered per term
- Coverage includes: KS1 – food, textiles, structures, mechanisms, KS2 – food, textiles, structures, mechanical systems, electrical systems
- One D&T food project taught per year, including cooking and nutrition requirements
- D and T is progressive (see curriculum maps. Pupils should learn the specific skills needed and then use these to produce a product.
- All members of the teaching team have access to the Design and Technology Association website to support with planning and resourcing their DT curriculum as well as all the resources from the CUSP Curriulum.
- Pupils with additional needs are supported to access the learning as appropriate depending on their need. Pupils with physical disabilities may need access to specialist tools or resources. Some pupils will benefit from pre teaching of key vocabulary. Some pupils may benefit from additional time or support from an adult to complete their work.
For more information, please contact the Design & Technology Subject Leader:
Mrs C Brindle
Design and Technology Subject Coverage Map for Key Stage 1 and 2