At Victoria Primary Academy, the mathematics curriculum will enable all pupils to develop as mathematicians. Our curriculum recognises that all pupils have the ability to learn mathematics and think mathematically and this growth mind set ensures that pupils leave our academy seeing themselves as mathematicians, confident in their own abilities. A strong mathematical foundation gives our pupil the best chances in life and helps them to develop into confident future citizens.
Through a focus on fluency, reasoning and problem solving, all pupils are challenged and extended. The mastery approach to mathematics, breaks the learning down into small steps, ensuring that all pupils are secure before moving on. Within all lessons are opportunities for challenge and extension, known as purple box challenges.
Through problem solving, pupils develop their curiosity and resilience, as well as learning to collaborate. Lessons also focus on using correct mathematical vocabulary which in turns enables pupils to explain their mathematical reasoning clearly and accurately. Pupils learn to communicate their ideas clearly as well as listening to their peers.
- Fluency – developed through recall practise and games.
- Reasoning – opportunities in every lesson and for every pupil.
- Problem solving – taught explicitly and focused on topics where pupils have mastered the fluency and reasoning aspects.
- Develop a broad and rich mathematical vocabulary.
- Develop an enjoyment of mathematics.
For more information, please contact the Maths Subject Leader:
Mrs L Embling
Multiplication and Division Calculation Policy