At Victoria Primary Academy we promote high standards by developing pupils’ spoken language, reading, writing, vocabulary and a love of reading and learning right across the curriculum.
Through the use of strong modelling, structured practice and independent application, we teach pupils to speak and write fluently so that they can confidently communicate their ideas and emotions to others and form positive relationships.
Reading and listening develop pupils’ skills so that others can communicate with them and provide pupils with opportunities to develop culturally, emotionally, intellectually, socially and spiritually.
At Victoria Primary Academy we ensure reading and writing in all subjects enables pupils both to acquire knowledge and to consolidate and build on what they already know. We develop the skills of language to enable pupils to become fully engaged ‘Learners Without Limits’, to make a positive contribution to our multicultural society and to improve their life chances.
At Victoria Primary Academy the curriculum for English aims to ensure that all pupils:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
- are competent in speaking and listening, making more formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.
For more information, please contact the English Subject Leaders:
Early Reading and Phonics- Mrs S Whiteman
Key Stage 2 English- Mrs C Richardson firstname.lastname@example.org